Thank God for science because in the last few years the most delicious fruit to ever be tasted on this planet was created via a hybrid of Wilkin and Kincy tangerines.  Meet the Gold Nugget Tangerine!

OK, I might be a super dramatic fruit nerd, but they ae seriously REALLY GOOD here people!  I casually tried one last year and have been Gold Nugget groupie ever since.  I swear I have asked my friend (and farmer) Steve if they were in season 20 times in the last 6 months :) All that ranting and I'm not even a citrus lover!

Since this is a new hybrid fruit I am not sure if major chain grocery stores carry them, but you might have luck at a farmer's market.  I, of course, I got my own tree at the lovely Maddock Nursery in Fallbrook, CA and even got to pick a bag of fruit!  Trust me, if you can get your hands on one of these beauties you won't be sorry!





I made this fruit bowl in 7th grade when I was in 4-H! I once caught my grandma trying to throw it away and salvaged it from the trash. I'm so glad that I did because the older I get the more I like it.  I seriously think it might be one of the coolest things I've ever made!



I love the way the glaze separated color and dripped around the pottery. I distinctly remember that we didn't know what our pieces were going to look like until they came out of the kiln. I love suprises so that was my favorite part!



Uncle Paul collecting fruit!

2 comments

  1. Gail on March 23, 2010 at 5:40 PM

    Wonderful!!!! pictures, Nicole..... but now I am hungry AND homesick.

     
  2. Renee on March 23, 2010 at 6:14 PM

    Cool pictures Nicole. Thank you for bringing us there, we loved it. I miss the smell of all those oranges! The bowl is very cool. I don't think I've seen it in person, but it photographs very well!