A friend of mine is reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and she posted this quote on her blog:

"The other problem with all this swinging through the vines of thought is that you are never where you are. You are always digging in the past or poking at the future, but rarely do you rest in the moment...If you are looking for union with the divine, this kind of forward/backward whirling is a problem. There's a reason they call God a presence-because God is right here, right now. In the present is the only play to find Him, and now the only time."

Now, I definitely need to be reminded to live in the moment. I am a thinker, and... I hate to admit it... a worrier. However, I have been thinking about this quote for the last couple of days and I am not so sure I totally agree with Ms. Gilbert. Granted, I haven't read the book, so I am judging the quote totally out of context, but it did make me realize that there is infinite value in reflection on the past and planning for the future- AND being in the moment. It's not a good idea to linger too long in any of those states of conciousness, but you should definitely visit all three regularly.

And I absolutely don't agree that God can only be found in the present. I think there is special value in looking at the past. As they say, hindsight is 20/20. I know that I have grown leaps and bounds in my love and knowledge of God through seeing how He worked in my life when I didn't know He was even there. I could only see His master plan after I lived through the situation and if I never took the time to look back at my life I would have missed that insight.

I left my thoughts on her blog and she made the distinction between thoughtful planning and reflection and the tendency to do more "shallow imaginations and dwelling on things that aren't necessary. " A very valid distinction, I think.

I guess the point, and the reason I wanted to share this with you, dear blog, is to remind myself to live in the moment, but to pause and think wisely. Enjoy where you are in the journey and appreciate every stage of life to its fullest! Seek wisdom from to past in order to prepare for a better future. Learn from your mistakes and acknowledge your regrets. Then put that knowledge into action and live with purpose and conviction.

And now for my favorite photo of my roommate enjoying the moment on a fabulously warm and windy summer afternoon...

DSC_2325

1 Comment

  1. Jessica Fletcher-Fierro on October 22, 2009 at 11:22 AM

    Very well said! I completely agree! You should read Eat Pray Love. I don't think you would agree with all of it (I don't either) but it's a great book about being a free-spirit and searching for meaning. I think you'd like it and find it thought-provoking.