One thing that I love so much about photography is that it connects people. I have found my camera to be an invaluable tool for crossing language barriers, strengthening relationships, and luring the people I care about into hanging out with me!

Meet Auntie Jaye!

Jaye and I have one of those special Aunt/Niece relationships where she is 5 years younger than me and we actually shared a bedroom and were more like sisters when I was in high school. We would have so much fun together laughing hysterically (she was the funniest 11 year old I ever met), getting into all kinds of trouble, and yes- having photoshoots. Then, after a lengthy period of separation I lured her into hanging with me using my irrestable secret weapon... the camera.

We got together at the Newport Beach Pier and just walked around, talked about how life has been treating each of us, and reminisced on old times. Now I can add "relationship renewer" to the reasons why I love photography!

I must have been nervous because I took about 400 photos in an hour and a half and made Jaye do all kinds of weird stuff that I have never asked anyone else do (like tell me stories and dance with strangers)! Even after all that time apart we quckly fell right back into our old dynamic and were laughing non-stop and making new memories by the time I shot the first frame.

Here are the highlights of our shoot.



































The many faces of Jaye... Jaye is super expressive, so I asked her to tell me a story and snapped away as she recounted her flight from Hawaii back to Orange County, complete with wheelchairs and a broken back (her mom's)!

























7 comments

  1. Jessica Fletcher-Fierro on July 3, 2009 at 5:38 PM

    I love the wide angle one of her walking. Very cool.

    Jaye helped you move in to Biola, right? I remember her!

     
  2. Renee on July 3, 2009 at 6:09 PM

    These pictures are stunning! Jaye is beautiful, and the pictures really capture the many aspects of her personality. It looks like a fun photo shoot. You do an amazing job Nicole!

     
  3. Paul on July 3, 2009 at 6:12 PM

    Hey Nicole,
    Great pictures! I love how you capture real life moments.
    Keep up the good work.

     
  4. Sean-O on July 3, 2009 at 7:49 PM

    I think you should have used some more cliche poses. And where is your standard "under the pier" shot? Slacker.

     
  5. Sean-O on July 3, 2009 at 7:50 PM

    Just kidding. You are awesome.

     
  6. Nicole on July 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM

    These look awesome!! Nice work Nicole!!!

     
  7. Melissa De Mers on July 8, 2009 at 1:14 PM

    AWESOME shoot nicole! :) What size lenses do you use? These are beautiful! Love them!